Glen Albyn WhiskyGlen Albyn Whisky Distillery was built in 1846 and its history is strewn with difficulties; it closed shortly after opening and it was put up for sale in 1855, but there were no buyers. The Glen Albyn Whisky Distillery's buildings were used as a flour mill and it wasn't until 1884 that Glen Albyn was refitted as a single malt whisky distillery. The fortunes of the distillery became bound up with the founding of Glen Mhor Distillery in 1892, built just a hundred metres to the south and by the foot of the main canal locks that emptied into the Muirtown basin. Glen Albyn is part of the ‘Great Glen’ which is a name given to a vast geological fault line from Inverness down to Fort William. Great Glen in Gaelic is Gleann Mòr from where this new distillery created its name. The distillery buildings were used as a US Navy mine factory during WW1. It was bought by DCL in 1972, although it was closed down in 1983. Five years later the whisky distillery buildings were demolished.
Showing 1 to 1 of 1 (1 Pages)