Glenburgie WhiskyThere are mentions of a distillery being founded as early as 1810, then known as Kilnflat, but Glenburgie Whisky Distillery was first recognised by official records in 1829. After running into financial difficulty, the Glenburgie Whisky Distillery closed in 1870. It re-opened in 1878, under Charles Kay. There were several ownership changes in the next decade, lasting until the distillery's expansion in 1890. It was then incorporated in 1895. This situation lasted 30 years; it was liquidated in 1925, and then was closed again between 1927 and 1935. The distillery was run by Margaret Nichol, considered the first female Manager of any whisky distillery. Production continued up until 1981 when a trial experiment with Lomond Stills was abandoned, and the stills were replaced with regular stills. In 2000, production stopped entirely. The distillery was completely rebuilt in 2003-04, retaining the original stills. In 2006 another two stills were added, bringing the total production capacity to 4.2m litres of pure alcohol per year.
Showing 1 to 3 of 3 (1 Pages)