anCnoc WhiskyanCnoc Whisky Distillery was originally founded in 1893. The name "anCnoc" is Gaelic for "the hill". The anCnoc Whisky site was chosen for its proximity to the Knock Station between Aberdeen and Elgin. It was within a few miles of a district noted for its barley and inexhaustible source of excellent peat. The anCnoc Whisky Distillery was built using local grey granite and had two steam heated stills. Previously named Knockdhu after the distillery, the whisky was renamed anCnoc Whisky in 1994 to avoid confusion with Knockando. The story of the Knockdhu distillery starts with a man of vision (who also had an eye for a good investment). In 1892 an enterprising chap named, John Morrison, bought the Knock estate. So when springs of pure, clear water were found, John saw a golden opportunity. Samples of the water were sent for analysis and soon negotiations were under way with The Distillers Company of Edinburgh to build a distillery. Knockdhu opened its doors in October 1894.
Showing 1 to 8 of 8 (1 Pages)