Caol Ila WhiskyCaol Ila Whisky (which is Gaelic for Sound of Islay) is pronounced as "col-eela". The name relates to the location of the Caol Ila Whisky Distillery on the shore of the Sound of Islay, less than a mile north of Port Askaig. Caol Ila Whisky Distillery was founded in 1846 by Hector Henderson and in 1863 the business was acquired by Bulloch Lade & Co. of Glasgow, who were traders in bulk whisky stocks. By the 1880's, over 147,000 gallons of Caol Ila Whisky were produced by Caol Ila each year. The distillery closed during "World War II" from 1942 to 1945, because of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley to distillers. From then, production continued until 1972, when the entire structure of the distillery was demolished. A larger distillery was then built, designed by George Leslie Darge in the same architectural style as many of his others with his trademark glazed curtain walls to the still houses, and production resumed in 1974. The company eventually became part of Diageo.
Showing 1 to 2 of 2 (1 Pages)