Cardhu WhiskyCardhu Whisky Distillery was established in 1824 by John Cumming, a former whisky smuggler. The Cardhu Whisky Distillery is sited high up on Mannoch Hill, above the River Spey. In 1885 the Cardhu Whisky Distillery was rebuilt and the new building and stills meant that Cardhu could produce three times the amount of Cardhu Whisky that was previously produced. In 1893 Elizabeth Cumming sold the distillery to Johnnie Walker and Sons on the condition that the Cumming family could continue the day-to-day running of the distillery. Cardhu Distillery kept working under these conditions until the onset of the Second World War when wartime restrictions meant that it was harder to use barley for distilling purposes. In 1960 the distillery's still-house, mash-house and tun-room were rebuilt, and in 1970 steam coils were introduced to heat the stills and the number of stills was increased to six. Spring water from Mannoch Hill was mixed with water from Lynne Burn to supply the distillery.
Showing 1 to 6 of 6 (1 Pages)