Dailuaine Whisky Distillery (pronounced "dale-yu-an") was founded in 1852 by William Mackenzie who died in 1865. Dailuaine Whisky Distillery was subsequently leased to J. Fleming, a banker who founded Mackenzie and Co. with William Mackenzie's son. In 1884 it became one of the largest whisky distilleries in the highlands. In 1889 Charles Doig built the first pagoda whisky distillery structure in Scotland. In 1915 Thomas Mackenzie died and the company was sold to John Dewar & Sons, John Walker & Sons and James Buchanan & Co. one year later. In 1917 a fire destroyed the pagoda-roof. The distillery had to close, reopened three years later and was bought by Distillers Company Limited (DCL) in 1925. 1960 the Distillery was completely renovated and is enlarged from four to six stills. Since 1983 the malt is no longer produced inhouse. In 1987 Dailuaine was taken over by United Distillers.