Tobermory WhiskyTobermory Whisky Distillery is on the Inner Hebridean island of Mull in the village of Tobermory. The distillery, which was formerly known as Ledaig, (pronounced "le-chaig") was founded in 1798. The only whisky distillery on Mull, its main product is Tobermory Single Malt Whisky, and the whisky distillery also produces a smaller amount of peated whisky, which remains known under the former name, Ledaig. Production was upgraded in 1990, with the distillery becoming capable of producing 1m litres of spirit a year. In 2012, during the driest summer for thirty years, the distillery was forced to halt production temporarily, to preserve the quality and consistency of its whisky. Early the following year, following several further months of unusually dry weather, there was another temporary halt to production. On each occasion, the water level in the small, private loch used to supply water to the distillery had dipped to such an extent that proper rainfall was needed to replenish it to a satisfactory level.
Showing 1 to 2 of 2 (1 Pages)